28.5.10

oh boy here we go again...

Here I am, sitting in the chair in my living room. T.y.p.i.n.g. as my baby is crying. He's in his crib for nap time but he obviously disagrees.  Hopefully in a couple of minutes he'll calm down enough for me to help him fall asleep. I'm curious as to whether or not he is standing at the edge yet. Would you like to discover that with me?
Yep, just what I thought.

Of course, even when he's in the middle of protesting with crying, he has time to smile.  I don't think I have ever met anyone that has been so happy to see me. It never fails. Every time I reappear in the room, he can't help but light up with a smile.
...
There, he's asleep now.  Now I don't feel like such a bad mom.

When I was thinking about what I was going to write, I was going to say something like "Being a mother is hard because no matter what you do, you hardly ever get a thank-you." Something along those lines anyway.

But now I disagree... sure, Baby Jed doesn't thank me verbally... but I believe that behind the smiles, cuddles, and hugs are ALL the Thank you's and I love You's even an adult couldn't give.

Motherhood is so worth it.


An example: This morning, around 2:30am, Baby Jed starts whimpering from a bad dream... I try to see if he'll cry it out, but to no avail. I go in there around 2:45 and he's still whimpering, so I  pick him up and sit down with him in the rocking chair... he goes straight to his comfy spot-  his head on my shoulder, his arms around my neck, his fingers in my hair.  But actually for the first time, I noticed that he was caressing my hair.  I've never noticed it before so I don't know if this was the first time or not. Usually when he touches my hair in  the day time, it's a play toy.  Yanking, tugging, eating.  But last night he just was petting my hair... sounds weird but it was so precious and touched my heart.  At that moment, I wasn't sick anymore, I wasn't exhausted, I wasn't hungry or cramping. I was just happy to be there holding him; helping him fall back asleep.
Once again,
Motherhood is so worth it.

1 comment:

Liana said...

I love it! so sweet. You really can't get mad at those little guys especially when they always give you their smiles and play with your hair. :)